UNESCO World Heritage Site, Panamá La Vieja, commonly known as Panamá Viejo, is the seat of the original Panama City, founded in 1519 by Pedro Arias de Dávila. This was the first Spanish settlement on the Pacific coast of the Americas. Located on the far eastern side of the current city, these ruins are all that remains of the original city, which was burned down by Welsh Buccaneer Henry Morgan in 1671.
Since much of the original city was made of wood, the ruins are not that extensive, although they are well-maintained and make for an interesting visit.
In recent years, several important archeological discoveries give evidence of pre-Hispanic residents.
The visitor center at Panama La Vieja has a collection of the archaeological finds and information about the history of the site.